Know your facts. Here are 10 fast facts about Truvada for PrEP (Pre-exposure Prophylaxis).
Continue reading below to learn more about the uses and studies of this medicine.
1. PrEP has been shown to help reduce HIV infection risk in multiple studies.
2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Truvada for PrEP use in 2012.
3. Truvada for PrEP provides 92%-99% reduction in HIV risk for HIV-negative individuals who take the pills every day as directed.
4. Truvada for PrEP is generally safe and well tolerated, but there can be side effects including nausea, headaches, weight loss, and more.
5. While taking Truvada you must remain HIV negative and get tested for HIV-1 at least every 3 months.
6. It’s estimated that it takes at least seven days for PrEP to reach high levels of protection in the body.
7. Truvada has been used to treat HIV for a decade. (source)
8. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has advocated for PrEP use. (source)
9. Truvada has quite a few major drug interactions you should be aware of. Learn more on Drugs.com.
10. Truvada is quite expensive in the US and Canada at over $1000 a month. Though many people are able to use insurance to help pay for it.
Learn more health facts.